|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 95 or Next - Page 97
assisting and often stayed several days if required, and neighbors also helped each other during epidemics, one being 1918-1919.
In 1927 Dr. Rutledge was appointed Health Officer and Municipal Physician. (refer to the Rutledge History).
Over the years there were three nursing homes at Erickson, Mrs. John Skoglund operated a nursing home upstairs of the now Oshusts Store. In 1923, Mrs. Val Biczo started her nursing home in the now Roshka home, gradually averaging some thirty maternity cases a year. In 1947, the nursing home was closed. An unofficial record states that three hundred and fifty-two maternity cases and one thousand and five hundred tonsil cases were cared for in the Bizco home. Miss Lillian Cummings R.N. had a nursing home at the now Frank Sanderson home on Second Street South.
A salute to the people who helped each other in any way during a time of need.
Erickson and District Medical Nursing Unit 8A.
ERICKSON AND DISTRICT MEDICAL NURSING UNIT SA
by Florence McDonald
Following World War II, the government was faced with the problem of trying to encourage doctors to practice in rural Manitoba. A study was commissioned and a report, known as the Buch report, was produced. This study recommended, among other things, that small hospitals, to be known as Medical Nursing Units, be established in small communities. These units were to provide facilities for the care of more common, un complicated medical conditions, uncomplicated ob stetrics, emergencies, plus space for doctors' offices and Public Health Staff.
In the case of Erickson, it was originally intended that a multi-hospital District be formed with Minnedosa being the other hospital. Arguments were put forward by the community which resulted in the formation of the Erickson Medical Nursing Unit District and the building of the Erickson Medical Nursing Unit.
The Minister appointed an organizational committee consisting of: Emil L. Johnson - Chairman, Linus Miller,
Duncan Mcinnes, Thomas Zatylny, Walter E. Dean and Peter Winder.
The first function of this committee was to develop a scheme which would outline the size and type of facility to be built, including a budget defining the proposed capital costs, operating costs for first year of operation, and method of financing.
The total estimated cost including, grants, was $46,000.00. The actual cost was $49,190.52.
Debentures were authorized which were to bear interest at a rate not in excess of 4070 per annum and repayable over a period of thirty years commencing with the year 1948, in equal consecutive annual payments of $1,272.26.
The scheme provided for the construction of a medical nursing unit consisting of: a) six beds, b) a case room and nursery, c) office space for two physicians and a dentist,
The scheme was approved by the Lieutenant Governor in Council on October 16, 1948. The eight bed Erickson Medical Nursing Unit had its official opening on June 23, 1950. The first doctor in the hospital was Dr. J. Burgess. The first Matron (D.O.N.) was Mrs. H. Kriehn. The first Administrator (Secretary-Treasurer) was Mr. J .C. Cutter. The first patient was Mr. John Reed, Wasagaming. The first Board of Trustees 1950: Mr. Emil L. Johnson, Mr. Linus W. Miller, Mr. Peter Gushulak, Mr. Theodore Lee, Mr. Harry Sundmark, Mr. Walter E. Dean and Mr. Peter Winder.
The first baby was born to Mr. and Mrs. George Slobodian - a boy, Eric George on July 13, 1950. In 1955, a record of seventy one babies were born in the Medical Unit.
In 1957 a request was made for 8 additional beds and initial cost estimates were $30,000.00 - $35,000.00. The matter was referred to a special hospital investigating committee in Winnipeg which reported back to the Advisory Committee on Hospital Services on April 15, 1958 recommending the Erickson proposal.
Subsequent to the acceptance of the proposal, a supplementary scheme was produced which provided for: a) an emergency room, b) an increase by six beds, c) a laboratory, d) office for Public Health personnel, e) increase in staff living quarters, f) medical records storage, general storage, and all essential works and facilities.
Cost estimates were $51,000.00 with estimated operating costs of $40,000.00. The supplementary scheme was signed by Theodore Lee, Chairman, and J .C. Cutter, Secretary-Treasurer and approved by Lieutenant Governor in Council on June 2, 1958. The contract was let on the amount of $64,735.05.
On December 5, 1968 another renovation project was approved by Mr. K.O. McKenzie, Chairman of Manitoba Health Services Commission, at a cost not to exceed $80,000.00. No additional beds were requested but an updating of case room and O.R., addition of an emergency room, a waiting room for patients, improved kitchen facilities, and a new nursing station were ap proved.
For the past several years, community organizations, Councils, and the Hospital Board have been diligently working on obtaining a Personal Care Home for