This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 124 or Next - Page 126

have to move farther back. It made the Indians very mad and they rebelled making it hardly safe to walk down the street. Fin­ ally to make it right for the Indians, Governor Morriss decided that the government should give them Treaty money of five dollars each.

I was married at the age of sixteen to George Durston, who was a Mallster for the E. L. Drewery Co. for a year. We decided to go homesteading in 1882, so we bought a yoke of oxen, wagon, horse, buggy and two cows, John Deere walking plow, a set of harrows, dozen chickens, pair of turkeys, and a pair of ducks. We loaded them on the C.P.R. for Brandon. This was the second train to run from Winnipeg to Brandon.

When we were coming to Brandon they had to stop the train to chase a herd of buffalo lying on the tracks. I have seen many a herd roaming the prairie, and I have eaten the Pemican made by the Indians which we were glad to get many a time.

W stayed in Brandon that night and it cost us fifty cents to sleep on the floor and I had my small baby Emily (Mrs. Barwick), who was six months old. It was the 22nd of May 1882 and was very cold. Emily is believed to be one of the first' white babies to be brought to the Turtle Mountain.

The next morning we started on our way to Turtle Mountain, sitting on top of the wagon with my babe in my arms. We crossed over a creek called Black Creek which is called the Souris River today. The man that was with us waded across the river with a rope attached to the wagon tongue and wound it around a tree to help the oxen pull the wagon across. And as night fell we came across some settlers and asked them if we could stay all night, and they said they could make room for me and the baby but not for the men, so we left and pitched at tent. We bought an armful of hay from these people for fifty cents for the oxen to feed while we camped.

It took us three days to go to where we squatted on some railroad land which we bought later for $2.50 an acre near the Turtle Mountain. We bought a section of land of which lawn three quarters of today.

My husband went to one of the neighbors by the name of Fox to get some lumber to build a house, the only kind of lumber we could get was poplar lumber which was very poor and paid $40.00 a thousand. It took my husband all day to go with the team of oxen, it was 20 miles up the old Commission Trail. The' house was built of two ply lumber with saw dust in between and a tar paper roof, there were no shingles to be had for two years. We made a log stable, cut into the bank of the creek which ran through the farm.

Our lighting system in those days was coal oil, when we could get it, a rag in a dish of grease was used mostly until coal oil got more plentiful. Th~ closest store was six miles away by the name