This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 41 or Next - Page 43

vided and within a year both the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches had full time ministers holding regular weekly services in the different schools. Some of the early ministers of the Presby­ terian Church were: Mr. Robt. Patterson, Mr. E. C. Currie, Mr. Me­ Intosh and Mr. Andrews. Some of the Methodist ministers were:

Mr. Wm. Kinley, Mr. Morden, Mr. Hopper, Mr. Ireland and Mr. Parish.

One of the special activities that was carried on for several years, in which b-oth denominations took part, was the holding of what was known as field meetings. These meetings took on more or less the nature of revival meetings and would be held afternoon and evening for several 'days, The meetings were held in what was gnown as Magwoods Grove, about one half mile North of Margaret. The spirit of good will and friendship exhibited in the coming together of the two denominations in this way may have been the forerunner of the formation years later of the United Church.

Mrs. Duncan McMillan, coming to join her husband in 1882, brought with her the first organ to come to the district. For several years this organ was used at special church services and school concerts.

As in all early settlements, the social life was somewhat restricted. The people had to provide their own entertainment by way of house parties and school concerts. One special event that was always looked forward to was the Annual First of July Picnic held at Flemings Grove on the South bank of the Souris River. People would come from miles around in buggies, buckboards and wagons. Baseball, football and races would provide a full after­ noon's entertainment, and in the evening supper would be served at a long table where all sat down as one large family. Bill Woodrow of Boissevain would always be there with a refreshment booth, cold lemonade being an important item of his stock in trade as Coke and Seven-Up had not been invented.

Even as early as the late 80's and early 90's baseball had become very popular. Two teams in particular were outstanding, and were considered by many as the best in the southern part of the Province; the one was from the Pinkham district, the other from Langvale. Members of the Pinkham team were: J. W. Scott, Alex and T. Simpson, Joe Simpson, Jim and Joe Patton, Geo. Murray and Dave Thompson. The Langvale players were: Fred, Grant and Harry Lang, Andrew and Alex Bissett, Thos. Rea, Robt. Dunlop, Ben. Davis and John Bissett.

The fall of 1896 saw the building of the first skating rink. This was built by David Nixon on his farm one mile East of the village of Margaret. While it was only a temporary building with posts down the centre, and a straw roof, it became the centre of gravity for the young people for miles around. The following fall a similar

-42-