This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 43 or Next - Page 45

.md independence, who asked for nothing but the opportunity to work to establish homes for themselves and their families, and a district that would be a fit place for coming generations. As they looked back over the years of hard work and sometimes of privation, it must surely have been with a feeling of satisfaction in work well done. They were standing on the threshold of a new era, had seen many great changes in their day but still couldn't envision the still greater changes that were to come with the advent of the auto­ mobile, farm tractors, self-propelled combines, telephones, radio, television, airplanes and modern farm homes with electric lights

and running water. - A. J. McMillan

RIVERSIDE AND MINTO DISTRICT

Some time previous to 1880 this district was surveyed into townships. The summer of 1880 the land was surveyed into sections.

In 1880 some of the first settlers to arrive were Duncan and Hugh McMillan, and Joe Fleming; their families coming the next year; also James Lang, Laughie and William McKellar. Then, in 1881, quite a large number of settlers came in among whom were Jimmie Graham, Robert Howard, Tom Wood, David King, Tom Little, S. A. Heaslip, Bob Campbell, Sandy Scott, Captain West, Tom and Joe McKee. These settlers walked from Emerson to Portage la Prairie, which was then the end of steel. In 1882, the year of the big rush, most of the land was taken up.

In 1882 the C.P.R. came to Brandon, and in the fall of '85 the C.P.R. came to Boissevain. A little later the Glenboro branch of the C.P.R. came through to Souris, and in the fall of '98 the Northern Pacific, now the Canadian National, rails were laid, giving us a much closer market at Margaret and Minto.

One of the early activities was a meeting held at Laughlie lVIcKellers, 6-6-18 (MuKellar's Bridge) in December 1881, which selected S. A. Heaslip and Hugh McMillan to represent the Northern part of the first Municipality of Turtle Mountain. The other officers were: Jimmie Burgess, John Renton, George Wright, Mr. Coulthard, and Finlay Young of Wakopa as Warden (now called Reeve). At this meeting were Hugh and Duncan McMillan, William and Laughie McKellar, Jas. Lang and son, S. A. Heaslip and son Allan, David King, Tommy Clark, Joe Fleming and Tom and Joe McKee.

Old Riverside Municipality was formed in '83 and closed in '91. The first council consisted of Adam Dunlop, Hugh McMillan and Sandy Scott, Charlie Shaw, Alonzo James and George Foster, with James Lang as Reeve. William Gordon, who later moved to Boissevain, was sec.-treas. during the life of Old Riverside. The municipality consisted of townships 5 and 6, in ranges 17 to 22 inclusive. That is from Main. St. Ninette to eight miles west of Elgin. Later, township 4, in 17 and 22 was added.

-44-