This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 98 or Next - Page 100

F. L. Schaffner, Tom Nicol, H. Gallogher, Joseph Birbeck, Wm. Lambert, Ham Gage, J. D. Bain, D. McTavish, J. A. Wright, T. Buck, Jack Cassady, R. A. Musgrove, John Morrow, Donald Young, D. McArthur, C. Embree, A. C. McEwn, Fred Young.

As the years went by, the membership increased to over one hundred. In those days we never heard of a trained nurse and the Brothers took turns waiting on sick members. It was the duty of the Lodge, and still is, to care for the sick, relieve distress, bury the dead and educate the orphan. Our Lodge became very proficient in conferring degrees and were called on to help institute many new Lodges including Ninga, Killarney, Minto, Elgin, Waskada, and Carnduff.

For the first 35 years the Lodge met in the Masonic Hall. Then we purchased our present home on the corner of Main and Broad­ way South. In the year '29, our hall was destroyed by fire and nearly all records were lost. A new hall was rebuilt better than ever.

This Lodge is now in its 68th year, and is still going strong and endeavouring to practice the principles of true fraternity by doing something for somebody else.

C. C. Musgrove

BOISSEVAIN L.O.L 1545

The Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1545 was instituted in August 17th, 1885 at Rayfield School, Municipality of Morton. The charter mem­ bers who had brought their certificates from Ontario a few years previous to this occasion were Thomas M. Barker, J. Burns, Thomas Wyman, J. Peacock, Richard Barwick, John Musgrove, James Thompson, A. S .Walker, John J. Walker.

Worshipful Masters for the ensuing years were as follows: 1886 T. M. Barker, 1887 J. T. Cooper, 1888 J. T. Cooper, 1889 T. M. Barker, 1890 John Bowes, 1891 John Bowes, 1892 J. M. Deacon, 1893 John Peacock, 1894 James Burns, 1895 J. W. Barker, 1896 J. W. Walker, 1897 J. J. Cooper, 1898 E. Sankey, 1899 E. D. Allen, 1900 G. Lumsly.

On Oct. 21, 1926 the Ladies Orange Benevolent Association Maple Leaf No. 730 was instituted in Boissevain by the Right Wor­ shipful Grand Mistress of Manitoba, Sister Ada Rayne, with Sister Jean Kyle as the first Worthy Mistress of the Lodge.

THE WOMEN'S INSTITUTE

The Boissevain Women's Institute came into being on Feb. 19th, 1915 with Miss Crawford, head of the women's division of the Dept. of Agriculture as organizer. The first president was Mrs. Jas. Robin­ son, and of the original membership, only Mrs. Frank Howell and Mrs. C. C. Musgrove remain on the list.

-99-