|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 148 or Next - Page 150
Ukrainian people have contributed much, in many ways, since they came to Canada; and while they are all now Canadians, we are happy and grateful that we can call some of them Portagers."
Father Anthony Luhovy is the present priest.
As it has been with most religious denominations, that services were originally held in homes, so it was with the people of the Jewish faith. The first days of worship go back to 1915 when a house located on Royal Road North was used. Next, there was a dwelling on Tupper St. (1930); and finally, in 1951, the Beth David Synagogue on 3rd St. S.E. that we have today. Divine guidance through the years has been given by university students and lay members.
McKenzie Church Archivist, Gladys Weber, submitted interesting history pertaining to this institution. We regret that her text must be abbreviated.
About 72 years ago, the late Mr. Angus Grant established a Sunday School in a private house in the then thinly populated and beautifully treed west end of Portage Ia Prairie. After his departure from Portage, a Mr. Gordon and a Miss Ormond carried on the Sunday School in a terrace on 12th St. N.W.
Mr. Jas. McKenzie succeeded Miss Ormond in 1900, and in 1903 the new location chosen was on the corner of Lorne Ave. and 11 th St. West. This school became known as "McKenzie Mission", honor ing the devoted services of Mr. and Mrs. McKenzie.
Although the mission was built by the Presbyterian congrega tion, it was in reality a united church project with teachers coming from both the Methodist and Anglican churches.
Many of the workers of the United Church received their Christian education in McKenzie Mission; among them were the Misses Maud and Annie Bowman, Mrs. Raymond Batt and Miss Minnie Johnston.
Following Mr. McKenzie's long regime, a Mrs. Moggey con ducted the affairs of the school for some time.
Others who should be mentioned as having given time and assistance are: Miss Helen Duncan, the Souter family, the Crews on family, Mrs. Ann Grobb, Mr. Neil Mckillop, Mrs. J Bagrie and Mrs. Ivan Wilson. (There are probably many others.)