|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 158 or Next - Page 160
Fir s t Presbyterian Church
Rea m s could be written abo u t the Presbyterian Church, but to h 0 nor one church above an other could, and just ly so, mean losing the respect of all. Because of that we are forced to con dense the interesting history submitted by Rev. H. L. Hender son.
In 1862, Mr. Ken neth McBain and Mr. John McLean, with their families, settled wit h i n the limits of the present city of Portage la Prairie. Due to their
|Rev. H. L. Henderson||efforts a church was|
established with Rev. Wm. Fletcher as pastor, in 1863. (He con ducted his first service in the home of Mr. McBain on the banks of Crescent Lake near the present Manitoba Home for boys.)
Rev. Fletcher was followed, in 1867 by Rev. Alexander Matheson who was succeeded by Rev. Allan Bell, mentioned previously in this book.
Rev. Bell remained in Portage In Prairie until 1888, and during his time here a "kirk" was built at the foot of Campbell St. on the banks of Crescent Lake. (Campbell St. is now Royal Road.)
In 1876, a log church was erected near where the Hotel Portage now stands. Soon this church was too small and work started on a new church. In the meantime, the congregation made arrangements for the use of the court room in the Court House.
On July 1st, 1881, the cornerstone of a new church, on the corner of what is now Royal Rd. S. and Dufferin Ave., was laid. It was opened for worship in 1882, and destroyed by fire in 1885.