|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 159 or Next - Page 161
The picture, shown here, is the Frist Presbyterian Church as it is today.
Presbyterians then worshipped in the City Hall, Pratt's Opera House and in the Federal Post Office until Rev. Allan Bell enlisted the financial aid of friends in eastern Canada which permitted build ing a new church; this one located on the southwest corner of Sask. Ave. and Campbell St.
In 1897, a beautiful new church was built on Tupper St. S. and given the name Knox Presbyterian. The mortgage was cleared in 1922, the year the cyclone struck the city, destroying the pipe organ and the greater part of the church! However, the church was repaired, the pipe organ put into shape again and services were renewed. But by the Church Union Act of 1925, this property was given to the United Church of Canada. Since then, the property has ceased to exist as the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
A group who wished to be faithful to the church of their fathers and who wished to become a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada reorganized a congregation. From 1925 to 1927 services were held in the Community Hall and in the Odd Fellows Hall.