This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire

Previous - Page 172 or Next - Page 174

In October 1895 a committee was formed to put the hospital's affairs on a permanent footing. In 1896 it was incorporated by the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba.

The Portage General Hospital officially opened on Sept. 7th, 1899. A Board of Directors was elected that year to replace the com­ mittee which had administered the affairs of the hospital since 1895.

From left to right are: Dr. {?} Tod, Winnipeg Man.; Dr. (?) Blanchard.

Winnipeg, Man.; Miss (?) Black; Miss Mable Waite: Miss (?) Summerfeld; and Miss Anne Drummond. ("?" is used where the name is unknown.)

Several additions were made to the building as the needs arose. The picture shown here, taken in the operating room) will be of interest to doctors and nurses of today who are blessed with more modern surroundings.

On Feburary 9th, 1929, the north wing of this hospital was badly damaged by a fire which started between the walls and floors, near the south end of the north wing, and reached the attic or roof at this point.

There was no panic even though most of the 45 patients had to be carried out on stretchers. Some were taken to the Nurses Home, some to nearby homes, and one or two taken to their own homes. The Training School boys and staff, doctors and nurses, all worked at top speed to accomplish this necessary service in the shortest possible time.

153