|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 195 or Next - Page 197
W;lS changed again in 1959 when Me Stewart Hargreaves became the owner. Since that time it has been known as Hargreaves Portage Drug Store Ltd. (Since Mr. Hargreaves' tragic death in 1962 Mrs. Hargreaves has carried on the business with Mr. Orville Wagner as manager. )
B. M. Canniff came to Portage from Ontario where he was in business before coming west. He operated two stores here about 1878.
This enterprising man took an active interest in the Pharrna ceu tical Associn tion and served as president in 1888-1890. In the history of Manitoba pharrnaceu tical education reference has been made many times to his progressive thinking and to his contributions in that field.
Around 1920 R. L. Davidson purchased one of the Canniff stores which was located in the Fairbairn Block, a few doors east of the old Merchants Hotel. In 1927 the Fairbairn Block and the business of Mr. Davidson was purchased by Hills. George K. Hill became manager.
The following year the store was destroyed by fire together with the Merchants Hotel which was situated on the corner. The store was rebuilt. Later the property where the hotel was located was purchased and the Mayfair Hotel was built, in which was located Hill's West Drug Store, owned and operated by George K. Hill. (James Hamilton, whom many will remember, was the con tractor hired hy Mr. Hill to huild this attractive and useful addition to the city.) Charles Oliver and Clifford Bagrie who have heen identified with Hill's West Drug Store for several years arc now in charge of the business.
Another drug store doing a thriving business in Portage la Prairie at the present time is the Portage Pharmacy. It is located at 220 Saskatchewan Avenue west and its manager is J. A. Miller.
Hill's East Drug Store was well built by J. K. Hill in 1901. It still stands straight and strong on a solid foundation, and has never passed out of family hands. His son, Frank S. Hill ran the business for many years and now gives help and advice when needed to J. K.'s grandson, Jack C., who is carrying on the long-established, family business.
DENTISTRY AND DENTISTS
A pmI' of crude pincers seems to have been the only necessary piece of equipment that W;lS required by dentists in the early days! 'Freezing' was unknown, and many a pioneer submitted to the