|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 302 or Next - Page 304
Board at that time, and at one point, so carefully was a case being prepared that a diver was hired to examine holes and leaks in the upstream piling of the dam to prove a point!
Everything seems to have been cleared up without either side being too badly hurt, but faith in a needle dam was shattered, and it was agreed that a different system of bringing water into the lake must be tried. Messrs Bailey, Sharpe and Babb were appointed to look into the cost of putting a pump at the River, putting up a pump-house, and power to run the pump.
An itemized cost-sheet was presented at a Parks Board meet ing on Oct. 6, 1911, and was followed by a call for tenders for machinery. The Westinghouse Co. were the most reasonable at $1.- 356.00. Work was done by day labor under the supervision of a com mittee.
Mr. P. Handcock was the foreman and he, with his crew, built a concrete well, laid intake pipes from the River, and built a flume 2' x 6' to carry the water from the pump to the bulkhead.
By Feb. of 1912, the pump had been installed, and shortly after, the water in Crescent Lake reached a depth of 4' 4". The total cost for completion of this satisfactory project was $5,193.04.
Two men, Hodgson and Lee, were hired as engineers at the River Pump House @ $65.00 and $40.00 per month, which was con sidered a fairly good salary at that time. The pump had to be kept running at a speed suiting the elevation in order to obtain a con stant capacity. It also had to be primed, and was operated by pulleys and a motor.
Weeds had made a little headway in the Lake by this time, and a submarine weed-cutting-saw was purchased to eliminate them. The' cost of saw, freight and duty was $80.00. A raft was built later to facilitate the work of this machine.
The Board, anxious to promote further improvemen ts, made ar rangements for cutting a canal to connect both ends of Crescent Lake. Mr. H. Ogletree consented to give them the right of way with out conditions or considerations. Tenders were called, and Joseph Nadon was hired to do all the work, cutting brush from the channel and excavating the canal, for $325.00.
At last the Lake was in condition to be enjoyed as a lake.
Private boat houses were built, with owners leasing the land. The Parks Board erected a large one too, and in 1915 were charging