|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 331 or Next - Page 333
ARCHIBALD ANDERSON: Came in 1879 and first farmed the land where the Training School now stands.
JAMES BARRETT: Came in about 1881, farmed for a time, and contributed much to the U.F.M. and other organizations.
KENNETH BAIN (or McBAIN): A pioneer of the 1870's. WILDER AND ORANGE BARTLETT: Settlers prior to 1871. REV. DR. ALLAN BELL: Came in 1875 and was one of the
first pastors in Knox Church.
FRANK BODDY: Came to Portage in 1874 and homesteaded 6 miles north of town. Moved in 1892 to MacDonald.
ROBERT BROWN: Came in 1882 and farmed 10 miles north of Portage.
FREDERICK W. BROWN: Arrived in 1880 and farmed north east of Portage.
ROLAND BROWN: Came in 1878. He was a member of the first fire brigade, the first baseball club, the first cricket club and the first lacrosse club in Portage la Prairie.
GEORGE BATES: Is listed as a Postmaster in Portage la Prairie in the Manitoba Directory of 1882.
F. A. BRYDON: Came in 1875 and settled on north half of 7 -12-7 which is about seven miles northwest of Portage. The Brydon family have been identified with Portage for 95 years.
JOHN BRYDON: Came in 1871, and homesteaded 4 miles west of Portage.
JAS. BRYDON: Came in 1871, and homesteaded 3 miles straight west of Portage.
R. D. BYERS: Came to settle on the Portage Plains (in 1873) - 12 miles north of Portage.
CHARLES BURLEY: Was a merchant in Portage la Prairie in the early 1900s. (Mentioned in this book under "Music and Arts".)
GEORGE and JOSEPH CADMAN: Both arrived in 1870.
J. HOWARD CAMPBELL: Came in 1881 and settled in the Flee Island district where he farmed successfully until retiring to Portage in 1918.