|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 332 or Next - Page 334
R. P. CAMPBELL: Had a furniture and undertaking business in the early days.
JOHN CARROL: Came to Portage in 1872 and homesteaded 3 miles west of the city.
NATHANIEL CASKEY: Settled on a farm in 188l.
RICHARD T. CRAIG: Came to Portage with William Trimble in 1872. They held the second and third homestead entries on the Portage Plains.
JAMES CUTHBERT: An early settler of 1886 in the Portage Creek area.
CHARLES CURTIS: A pioneer of 1869. He passed away in 1874. B. G. CREALOCK: Arrived in Portage in 1884 and worked for Frank Connor, Tom Sissons and Mr. Ferris respectively until 1886 when he made a payment of $20.00 on the S.W. 1/4 of 31-11-8. (Taxes were $2.351) In 1889 he bought the S.E. 1/4 of 31-11-8 with a first payment of $64.00. The first grain that he marketed was 14Y4 bushels of wheat, for which he received $8.12!
WILLIAM DAVIS: Came west in 1875, and settled in the Flee Island district.
JOHN PETER DEMARAIS: One of the settlers who was in duced to come to the settlement of Portage la Prairie by Venerable Archdeacon Cochrane.
MRS. WILLIAM FRANCIS: After the death of her husband, moved with her family to Portage and settled in the Hood District in 1909. She passed away in 1922.
ROBERT FLETCHER: Came to Portage in 1872, and acquired a homestead northwest of town. He was secretary of the school board and instrumental in choosing the site of Central School which was built years later.
JOHN FRANCIS: A Dominion Land Surveyor. Came to Portage in 1904. In 1912 he was elected Vice-President of The Association of Manitoba Land Surveyors.
JAMES FULTON: Came in 1875 and took up a homestead which has been passed on through the years to descendants.
WILLIAM GAIR and ALEXANDER GAIR: Early pioneers of the Portage district; arrived in 1871.