|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 352 or Next - Page 354
Rat Creek ran through the Galbraith farm and served as a watering place for livestock. The lawn that led down from their home was a picnic paradise for family and friends.
Shown in the picture, left to right, are: John Galbraith, his son John E., his daughter Esther (now Mrs. A. James), Mrs. Galbraith and son, William, who later took over the farm and was killed in a farm accident in 1959.
Two daughters, Marjorie (now Mrs. A. G. Sissons) and Isobel (now Mrs. P. D. McKechnie) are not in this photo due to attending school in Portage la Prairie. Another family member missing is a son, C. F. Galbraith who, several years after this picture was taken, won the D.F.C. and gave his life for our country in 1918.
(Formerly known as the FOX district)
The history of the Fox district goes back to 1891. It was named after Jerry Fox who was a station agent and later a store-keeper at Burnside. Mr. Fox also owned land in the area which was named after him. This land later became the property of L. W. Crewson.
Before the Canadian Northern Railway reached the Fox district, Mr. Sol Hadley had a post office there. He received a salary of 75c per trip for bringing the mail from Burnside, a distance of appxoxi mately eight miles! After the coming of the railroad, in 1905, the mail came by train.
While mail from family and friends in the outside world was of great importance to the settlers, so also was their need for schools and spiritual guidance. A log school was built in 1895 which served as both school and church. Rev. Farquar McRae, of Burnside, was the first minister. This building was used until 1905 when it was replaced by a brick structure, which served its purpose until 1960 when another school was built. (The first service held in the 1905 school was a memorial service for the late Mrs. J. S. Boak.)
The Geographic Board of Canada says that it was in 1905 that the Canadian Northern Railway reached the Fox district, and on